Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Fan video creates LoTR movie pastiche

A pastiche is a story stitched together from pieces of one or more stories. You often find them in fan fiction. I've rarely found anything like a pastiche in fan videos, and this is the first pastiche video I have seen that actually makes any kind of sense.

I'll admit to having dreamed as a young fan of patching together my own "Star Trek" movie from scenes in the original series. But while growing up and attending college I never had the time, skill, or equipment to do it. I was stunned one day to hear a college employee confess she was working on just such a project.

Through the years I came to meet quite a few people who had attempted to create Star Trek pastiche videos. The idea lost its appeal for me, however, after the ST movies started coming out.

This video uses scenes of Elves from Peter Jackson's "The Lord of the Rings" to tell the story of two Elves who fall in love and are torn apart by war. When you watch the video, try not to see Arwen and Legolas -- instead, try to see two unnamed Elf lovers who have their own story.

You can read the story synopsis here on YouTube.



SF-Fandom is a moderated, fan-run community devoted to science fiction, fantasy, history, and mythology. SF-Fandom was founded in 2001 and is part of the Xenite.Org network. Free registration is required to post. Please be sure you read our Posting Guidelines.

No comments:

Post a Comment