Saturday, March 25, 2017

Happy Birthday to Xenite.org

It has been just a little over 20 years since I launched the Xenite.Org Network. I'd like to say "how time flies when you're having fun" but, damn, it feels like it's been twenty years since it all began. Technically, it has been longer. I can trace my "Web"-like experience back to the first days I uploaded files for sharing on CompuServe. And, in fact, it was CompuServe where I published my first Website in 1996. But Xenite.Org is where things really started happening and I hope people will appreciate the long retrospective article I wrote titled "20 Years of Science Fiction and Fantasy: The Many Faces of Xenite.Org". While it runs to 6,000 words, the 10th Anniversary special feature included many articles and took about half a day to get through. It was worth it.
Due to a lack of time on my part I couldn't put together anything as comprehensive as the 10th anniversary edition to celebrate two decades of Xenite.Org life, but I suppose that is fitting given how (supposedly) online attention spans are diminishing.  The more information with which we are presented, the less time we spend reading it.

I'm not sure that is a great survival strategy for the average Internet user because you'll miss things if you don't slow down.  The hurried pace of information consumption seems to be driven by a fear of missing things.  Either way you'll miss something.  Which method of consuming information will please you better, though?

I still like to read through articles before I share them on social media.  I don't like it when people I know obviously reshare stuff they haven't read.  Sure, they are supporting their online friends and that is always cool.  But what if you are sharing stuff that makes no sense?  What if you are sharing stuff you actually disagree with?

As much as I hope you share links for SF Fandom and Xenite.Org, I hope you do it because you enjoy the discussions and the articles.
____________________________________________
SF-Fandom is a moderated, fan-run community devoted to science fiction, fantasy, history, and mythology. SF-Fandom was founded in 2001 and is part of the Xenite.Org network. Free registration is required to post. Please be sure you read our Posting Guidelines.

No comments:

Post a Comment