If you are interested in search engine optimization at all, you may have read some of my articles at SEO Theory. There are a few articles where I mention science fiction and fantasy, but in particular I made sure to mention Asimov's Foundation books and the character Hari Seldon (a Psychohistorian) in the articles Swarm Theory and Web Communities and Using Swarm Theory to Balance Viral Propaganda.
Today, I stumbled across this Discover Magazine blog post that mentioned this economist's blog and this philosopher's blog where both mention Asimov and Seldon's influences on them.
So count me in good company. I feel no shame in comparing my theoretical work in understanding Web search dynamics to the work of others in fields as disparate as economics, politics, and philosophy.
Psychohistory, in Asimov's books, is an esoteric mathematicaly discipline that seeks to quantify the behaviors of large groups sufficiently predict trends in group behaviors (allowing for occasional identification of pivotal actions with iconic individuals). In other words, Hari Seldon invents a branch of mathematics that is used to predict future trends so reliably that a 1,000-year-long plan to reshape galactic politics is put in place before Seldon dies.
Some people have actually attempted to develop a science of psychohistory.
SF-Fandom is a moderated, fan-run community devoted to science fiction, fantasy, history, and mythology. SF-Fandom was founded in 2001 and is part of the Xenite.Org network. Free registration is required to post. Please be sure you read our Posting Guidelines.
No comments:
Post a Comment