Saturday, October 10, 2009

Trailer for "The Book of Eli"

There is something about post-apocalyptic movies that bugs me: the Earth is always a desert in such movies. Why is that? We now know that even under intense radiation plant and wildlife somehow manage to go on. A thermo-nuclear war would, I am sure, clean most life off the planet but the odds are pretty good that unless we figure out a way to boil the oceans off into space life would continue on Earth.

So I quibble over speculative details. I just wish someone would make a post-apocalyptic movie that doesn't portray the Earth as an inhospitable desert. Oh, wait, Kevin Costner did that in "Waterworld". Never mind.

So Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman, Malcolm McDowell, Jennifer Beals, and Michael Gambon will lead a rag-tag fugitive cast in search of a good movie concept next January when "The Book of Eli" debuts in theaters. There is an official Website where you can watch the trailer I've embedded below. But there is nothing else, really.

Why do movie studios waste our time with these crappy, no-content sites? I'm not signing up with their Facebook account so I can carry their ads. I want to see interviews with the cast and producers. I want to see production stills. I want to see background material. I want to see a good, old-fashioned, fan-oriented Web site that digs deep into the story and helps me identify with it.

Because, frankly, I'm not sure I'm going to be all buzzed up to see yet another post-apocalyptic movie set in the desert. I'd rather see some imagination go into the movies I watch. The advance promotion suggests that imagination is probably the biggest deficit this film carries with it.



SF-Fandom is a moderated, fan-run community devoted to science fiction, fantasy, history, and mythology. SF-Fandom was founded in 2001 and is part of the Xenite.Org network. Free registration is required to post. Please be sure you read our Posting Guidelines.

No comments:

Post a Comment