Fox Network has apparently decided to create a Western television series with a science fiction twist. Geeks of Doom welcomes the prospect of a concept it compares to Firefly with all the enthusiasm of a warmed over sleeper.
Sorry, couldn't think of a better metaphor than that.
I don't have much faith in the Fox Network when it comes to television. I do love Fringe but let's get real here: the network's flagship programming is based on crime and reality shows.
Unless they can come up with a science fiction cops reality angle, I doubt Fox will invest a whole lot of schedule time in science fiction. Maybe they want to test the Western concept with a new angle (a dose of science fiction) to see if viewers are willing to watch Alias Smith & Jones meet the "50 Foot Tall Woman".
The real problem with science fiction television, I suppose, is that it is just so expensive to produce -- unless you use green sets, which we're starting to see more often. Frankly, I am underwhelmed by SyFy's Sanctuary. I was somehow hoping that making the transition from the Web to a successful television network would help the show expand its budget.
My mistake.
Real science fiction is supposed to be about the characters and the conflicts they face, but television science fiction has to resonate with the viewing audience. It's not so easy to make that connection in a world where people can log online and build empires at the click of a mouse button.
Well, that's the news for today. Maybe tomorrow will bring a brighter future (or past).
SF-Fandom is a moderated, fan-run community devoted to science fiction, fantasy, history, and mythology. SF-Fandom was founded in 2001 and is part of the Xenite.Org network. Free registration is required to post. Please be sure you read our Posting Guidelines.
No comments:
Post a Comment