Monday, July 6, 2009

Xenite Hobbit Movies News site redesigned

Xenite.Org launched the oldest continually updated Lord of the Rings News site in January 1998. We've been publishing or republishing Tolkien-related news for 11-1/2 years. That's a loooong time, but as many of you know I really love J.R.R. Tolkien's books and I'm a big suppporter of film and stage adaptations.

Nonetheless, for the past several years I just haven't had time to focus on the old LoTR Movie News site like I once did. Things change and all that -- and the last of Peter Jackson's three films was released in 2003 anyway.

But now we have Guillermo del Toro's 2 "Hobbit" movies coming and in this year alone two fan film productions were released. So it seemed high time I do something about a site which had, admittedly, grown stale and was no longer as useful and relevant as it once was.

So for the past few days I've been working hard to upgrade and expand Xenite's Hobbit movies news. I think it was worth the effort.

You can check out our Hobbit Movies News site and see that the new design is compatible with Xenite's current look overall (a few custom sections of Xenite are still not yet using the new template).

As part of the reorganization I've moved Old LoTR Movie News pages into their own sub-directory, as that information is no longer as relevant and useful as it once was. I've also removed many old links to sites that no longer exist (thus depriving domainers of some of the link value they've enjoyed for the past several years).

I've also updated the original LoTR Movie News Archive index. This was a complex, evolving document that just did not want to ever use a single template, but now every page in it uses the standard template we introduced a year-and-a-half ago.

In the process of cleaning up the old content I found that one news page really wasn't adequate. I was just trying to cover too much news. So now I've created two sub-sections, each with their own special archives. Here is a quick run down of the new pages (including the main news page that I linked to above).



The daily archive pages will link directly to the most recent news archives in the directories. The directories are organized by year, month, and day to help people look for news stories in as many ways as possible.

SF-Fandom is a moderated, fan-run community devoted to science fiction, fantasy, history, and mythology. SF-Fandom was founded in 2001 and is part of the Xenite.Org network. Free registration is required to post. Please be sure you read our Posting Guidelines.

No comments:

Post a Comment