I've explored foreign films and TV shows on occasion for many years. Over 20 years ago I had an interesting conversation with a couple of enthusiasts for the Hong Kong martial arts films at a Dragon*Con. What an interesting evening that turned out to be. There was so little available seating in the lounge we had to share a table, and that's really what conventioning is all about - getting to know your fellow fans.
They told me about their favorite films and directors. I had seen a couple of these films but didn't really understand the genre. As a fan of Xena: Warrior Princess and Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, I knew that Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert were heavily influenced by the Hong Kong martial arts genre. I didn't realize until then how much depth there was.
But modern #cdramas aren't like the old classics. For some people that's a good thing. Maybe for everyone.
To me the difference in generational formats is a lot like switching from Doctor Who in the 1970s and 1980s to Doctor Who in the 2000s (the New Who format). Modern #cdramas are filmed on amazing city-sized sets with widescreen cameras in full color and all the modern technology you could hope for. One of the oldest Chinese movies I can recall watching, either in the 1980s or 1990s, was The 36th Chamber of Shaolin. It was, for its time, an engaging movie (I know hard-core fans will hate me for saying no more than that). But it wasn't anything like a modern "costume drama".
I've watched over a dozen of these shows so far. Well, that doesn't sound like very many. But when you consider that a single season can have anywhere from 24 to 60 episodes, the viewing hours add up. And I've enjoyed a few of these shows enough that I've watched them more than once. So there's more viewing hours for you.
I've published the reviews on the SF-Fandom Forums. You can scroll through a summary of those reviews on the main site's Guide to Cdramas. I started a thread in the Fan Sites forum with a more concise list of links to my reviews.
If you've heard of shows like Novoland: Pearl Eclipse and Novoland: Eagle Flag, they're part of a larger franchise that is based on a fantasy world often compared to Middle-earth. I really enjoyed both productions. I hope you do, too.
SF-Fandom is a moderated, fan-run community devoted to science fiction, fantasy, history, and mythology. SF-Fandom was founded in 2001 and is part of the Xenite.Org network. Free registration is required to post in our Science Fiction and Fantasy Forums. Please be sure you read our Posting Guidelines.

No comments:
Post a Comment