Thursday, December 17, 2015

More Star Wars Bloggery as Force Awakens Fever Takes Hold of the Web

It's really hard to NOT get swept up in "Star Wars Fever". I've already purchased tickets for Friday and we're looking forward to having a great time at the cinema.  But as a blogger and as a science fiction fan I could not resist the temptation to write as much about Star Wars this week as I could squeeze in time for (and that wasn't much).  In between client projects and other work I managed to create the new Star Wars Movies section on Xenite.Org but I had already started that earlier this year.  I wanted something fresh, unplanned, and spontaneous.  So last night I came up with a couple of ideas and it didn't take very long to write them.

The first article is "Ten Unforgettable Star Wars Movies Moments" on Top Ten Topia.  That is not my Website but a friend runs it and allows me to write about science fiction whenever I have the time and the hankering.  And I hankered to write about Star Wars.

I have always been put off by the "top ten" lists meme but I get that people love to browse lists.  I browse them too, even when I know it's just marketing hype.  But whereas you might find some horrible top ten lists on the major media sites this week I really do think those are ten unforgettable moments in the movies.  And I explain why in the article.

But J.R.R. Tolkien fans also love Star Wars and through the decades they have compared and contrasted Middle-earth with the Star Wars universe every way you can imagine (and in some ways I never thought possible).  The Star Wars/Middle-earth connection is so strong it has inspired a lot of cross-over fan fiction.  We don't need to go there.

The challenge for me was to find something different to say.  I think I succeeded in "How Is Star Wars Like The Lord of the Rings?", a new question on the Middle-earth blog.  Everyone compares Gandalf to Obi-Wan Kenobi but George Lucas is a student of epic literature and heroic archetypes.  And he's just a darned good story-teller.  So I dug in and compared the two stories in ways that I haven't seen other people compare them.  I'm not saying no one else has made these kinds of comparisons but this ain't your grandma's bullet point list.

We're going to be wallowing in Star Wars stuff for a while.  Might as well settle in and get comfortable with the idea, I figured.  And, besides, it's nice to be able to look forward to a new Star Wars trilogy.  I love the Marvel movie franchise and all but there are days when I feel like, "Oh, God, not another 'Avengers' movies."
____________________________________________
SF-Fandom is a moderated, fan-run community devoted to science fiction, fantasy, history, and mythology. SF-Fandom was founded in 2001 and is part of the Xenite.Org network. Free registration is required to post. Please be sure you read our Posting Guidelines.

No comments:

Post a Comment