I should probably post a schedule but this is a quick article and I don't have time to look up everything. I will try to follow up later today or tomorrow.
Meanwhile, back at the Tolkien Society blog I have published "The Battle for Middle-earth Will Not be Carved in Stone". This is my latest attempt to assess the reality of trying to be right about anything with respect to Tolkien and Middle-earth. It feels to me as though we have reached a point where everyone now focuses on what they see as most important and relevant among Tolkien's work and ... well, that is the way it has always been. What can I say? It's like arguing with a fandom in some ways.
If you go in for that sort of thing, you might appreciate this article on quotes by J.R.R. Tolkien. It's not just a list of quotes. It's a list of well-annotated quotes, I guess you could say. And if you ever wondered how J.R.R. Tolkien died there is a sad note at the end that briefly sums up the circumstances of his death. But I'll tell you the shortened short version here: he developed an ulcer, went off diet and drank alcohol, and after being admitted to the hospital for the ulcer came down with pneumonia. We take antibiotics for granted today but even in 1973 people were dying from diseases we could probably kill very quickly now.
If you are looking for tickets to the "Fantastic Four" premier, Denny's is running a contest. Find out more about it and their latest menu tie-in at SF-Fandom. And if you are curious about why anyone should care about these movie menu deals, take a look at "Movie Meal Deals: Are They Comic Bookish Enough?"
Speaking of conferences and conventions, a friend of mine runs a little Halloween-themed costume con in north Georgia called HallowCon. I will try to drop by there this year. We have not fully confirmed that. And I have been accepted as an Attending Professional at Dragon*Con. I am waiting to see what panels I will be asked to help with. If you're a Dragon*Con track director and you need someone with an opinion on science fiction and fantasy, I'm available (I think).

No comments:
Post a Comment