Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Remembering Andre Norton Ten Years Later

There have been few days in my life where sadness overwhelmed me.  March 17, 2005 was one of those rare days.  I had long been expecting it but when the moment came and a close friend told me that Andre Norton was gone, I just wanted to rip everything off the Web and put up Andre Norton memorials.  She was the first science fiction and fantasy author to stir real passion in my heart as a reader.  Her stories, often said to be written for young adults, touched me when I was a young teenager but I could not stop reading them when I reached my twenties and thirties.  Her craft was that good, that I could return to the same stories over and over again.

This month fans of Andre Norton have spent time preparing a special tribute for Andre as much to remember her in our hearts as to share her good love of fiction and writing with a new generation of readers.  Jay Watts, the Webmaster for Andre-Norton-Books.com, reached out to Andre's friends and fans and asked them to share their memories.  Due to illness and work commitments it took me much longer to send him anything but I did finally put together a few words.

The Andre Norton Books website is not only the largest and best Andre fan site out there, it has been authorized by Andre Norton's literary estate to share news and release interesting information.  In fact, as part of the ten-year tribute, the site has just published a previously unpublished Andre original story called "Fanus".  It does not get much better than that.

Many authors have shared anecdotes and their love for Andre as part of the tribute.  I hope you find time to browse it.
____________________________________________
SF-Fandom is a moderated, fan-run community devoted to science fiction, fantasy, history, and mythology. SF-Fandom was founded in 2001 and is part of the Xenite.Org network. Free registration is required to post. Please be sure you read our Posting Guidelines.

No comments:

Post a Comment