Ever since the new
Middle-earth Website launched in July of this year I have been planning to add a section or series of articles unlike any other such series you'll find on the Tolkien fan Web. Although there are scattered interviews with Tolkien scholars around the globe, there has been no organized, systematic attempt to talk with them all (of which I am aware).
Will I be able to interview them all? I have no doubt that there are too many. But I plan to knock on a LOT of Tolkien scholarly doors over the next few months. The first article,
"An Interview with Janet Brennan Croft", has now been published. Janet is the editor of the journal
Mythlore, a publication of the Mythopoeic Society and a very accomplished Tolkien scholar in her own right. A new article will be published every week (as long as I can keep up the grueling pace) on late Thursday/early Friday (depending on where on Earth you live).
Other interviews already in the pipeline include John Rateliff (
The History of the Hobbit), Michael Drout (
Tolkien Studies, the journal), Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull (
J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist & Illustrator), and John Garth (
Tolkien and the Great War). Additional scholars will be invited to participate as the weeks roll on.
Hammond and Scull, by the way, are publishing a new book this month (in the United Kingdom) called
The Art of the Hobbit, which will include something like 100 new pieces of J.R.R. Tolkien drawings and illustrations that were just released by the Tolkien Estate. This artwork has, to my knowledge, never been seen by the public before.
____________________________________________
SF-Fandom is a moderated, fan-run community devoted to science fiction, fantasy, history, and mythology. SF-Fandom was founded in 2001 and is part of the Xenite.Org network. Free registration is required to post. Please be sure you read our
Posting Guidelines.
No comments:
Post a Comment